In this weekly podcast, you will listen to an interview with a student of ACC Brandon Manitoba. In this podcast, she will explain here experience and difficulties which she had in ACC and Brandon. As well as some suggestions she wants to give others who want to study in Canada. Producer and Host Harpreet Kaur, guest Malkeet Kaur.
InDesign is Adobe’s software which is used for creating Magazines or designing pages for print and web. Attractive typography and graphics can be created in InDesign.
Ever since I beginning school, I was very fascinated by Magazine Layouts and wanted to know how these designs are created. But in my IMA program at ACC, I get to know about the techniques which are used to create attractive layouts. As well as some software which is used to make designs and one of the good software is InDesign which I liked the most.
After Photoshop and Illustrator, we learn InDesign which was part of our Digital Design program in IMA. I did some work on In-design such as magazine layouts, Facebook and Instagram covers. Not only in Digital Design but it is also used in the Visual Communication program. Nowadays, I am working and learning the InDesign software in Digital Imaging and Graphics Program.
With this software, users can learn about layers and how to work with layers, create and edit text frames, move, scale and crop graphics. Additionally, users can also learn how they can adjust the space between frames. InDesign is also useful for adding captions to graphics frames or shapes such as circle, square and others. Users can add not only text but also images into frames, adjust the text around the object. After that, they can resize the shape of the frame and content to fit as their choice.
With the help of different tools in InDesign, users can create simple or basic shapes and convert the shapes into complex graphics. In-design allows the user to import, PNG, JPEG, PICT, PDF, PSD, TIFF, and EPS, and the user can set the transparency setting of images or other graphics.
InDesign works on spreads and master pages, which is helpful for creating Magazine layouts. InDesign also provides templates for different layouts like books, magazines, web pages as well. Users can select any of them because most are free provided and they just need to put their own text and images in those, which is very easy to use, and tutorials are also available.
Users can also make a margin and bleeds when printing at the end or beginning of the design. InDesign works on both either RGB or CMYK. Which are very useful for any format for web or printing. InDesign is very similar to Illustrator, but it may not be widely used as Illustrator used, while it is also an excellent software for creating Magazine layouts.
I love to work on InDesign. In many documents, it is very flexible and easy to use. I am just using the theory of ACC “Learn by doing” and getting experience.
Whether you’re new to the Interactive Media Arts program, or an esteemed second year student well on your way to escaping, there are a few neat gadgets and products that can help you with designing, editing and content creating. My eventual goal with this list is to help new and old IMA students know what tools are helpful for the program, and what they can be used for.
1, A Drawing Tablet
Drawing tablets are helpful for more than just what the name suggests. Tablets are useful as they allow you to streamline your movements in applications in the Creative Cloud, and are also extremely useful for creating unique shapes and designs for various different results. What adds to the appeal of using a tablet over a mouse and keyboard, is that tablets allow for much more natural movements, and can make jobs like drawing assets and animating much easier than it would be with a keyboard and mouse.
2. A Laptop
Laptops make college work a lot easier, as it allows for students to take their work on the move with them. Having a laptop means you can work with all of your files in multiple different locations without having to worry about cloud storage or external drives, and the transferring, uploading and downloading that comes with it. Having a laptop allows you to keep everything in one place, helping you be much more organized then if your files were spread out across multiple different storage’s, making files harder to find.
3. A Sketchbook
While this one isn’t really a “gadget” by conventional standards, it’s an extremely useful tool when it comes to the design process. Having a sketchbook allows for students to make their ideas have a tangible, rough draft before heading onto the computer, where creative decisions can be a little hard to implement and change then when you’re working with traditional means. Being able to make drafts of designs before the actual design is implemented is extremely important for the design process as well, as an individual can come up with more ideas quicker than they could working on a computer.
Headphones are incredibly useful for being an IMA student for a variety of reasons. The most obvious being that they come in hand when dealing specifically with the audio courses, like Digital Audio or Digital Video. A good set of headphones will allow you to fine-tune your audio choices so much more and really deliver a clear, high-quality final result that you can be proud of. Another reason why headphones can be considered to be important to the IMA program is they allow you to listen to music, which can be a huge inspiration and motivator for the creative process. Music can help inspire designers in so many ways, from the overall feel of a product, or something smaller like the colour palette of a piece.
The latest craze in technology has been on a steady rise in popularity since it’s conception in recent years. That’s right, I’m talking about virtual reality. Virtual reality (VR) is opening up entire avenues for online interaction that would’ve never been possible even 15 years ago.
Here are some of the ways that VR is impacting the modern world:
- Medical Procedures – VR is being tested in the context of planning and practicing medical procedures in hopes of increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of medical professionals worldwide. The medical community is looking for ways to be able to preform complex procedures in remote areas using robotics, which would be controlled by a professional using VR equipment.
- Gaming – VR is making waves in the gaming industry by allowing gamers to take immersion to the next level and feel what it would be like to experience their favourite games as if they were the main character. Not only is it extremely immersive, but it has the most responsive controls ever made because it is as if the players are preforming the in-game actions themselves.
- Business – Through VR, some businesses are able to conduct entire meetings and collaborate on projects with partners across the world. This allows for lower costs for businesses because they don’t have to fly employees across the world for meetings, which also cuts back on toxic emissions that harm the planet.
- Entertainment – Since VR headsets have become easily accessible, many new avenues for entertainment have opened up, such as virtual reality podcasts that get streamed live to viewers across multiple platforms. Podcasts in virtual reality are able to be performed completely within the medium, with camera operators and sound engineers being able to create their own workspace within the set and change camera angles and adjust the volume of individual hosts, all without taking off their headsets.
VR is an extremely versatile tool that has expanded past a very niche group of users and hit the mainstream. Many technology experts firmly believe that VR is the future of life as we know it, even allowing users to work from home in a simulated office environment. Some users of VR have even built their own living spaces as 1-1 replicas in the virtual world, allowing them to experiment with different furniture layouts without the heavy lifting, sit on their couch to watch TV, or even live their lives within a virtual space.
VR looks to be the future of everything from work to play, and although it may not facilitate all of our everyday needs quite yet, I suspect that in the near future people could be able to live fully in VR, and never have to leave the comfort of their own homes. I also believe that in the near future, consumers will be able to use virtual reality to buy goods and do their shopping without stepping out of the house.
When it started for me, I wasn’t sure if this course was something I was going to be interested in for the rest of my two year student life.
I was out of the province and a days drive away when I received the text, followed by what felt like hundreds of emails confirming I had been enrolled in the Interactive Media Arts course at Assiniboine Community College. But once I had found a place to live, I realized it was too late to go into hiding and pretend post-secondary education didn’t exist.
Despite my doubt and anxiety I still decided to show up on the first day of classes (the orientation the week before didn’t really count). While getting to know my teachers was pretty simple, the people considered classmates took a bit longer to break the ice with.
The days quickly became weeks, and then evolved further more into months. As it stands I have now spent around 6 months in this program. While the coding work is a bit of a drag and struggle, the other courses have interested me enough to keep me invested and trying to succeed.
Aside from some minor classes such as video editing and audio recording/manipulation, the main attraction of this course for anyone with an interest in design, would be the Adobe classes. Several classes are dedicated to teaching and experimenting with the Adobe suite of design tools, including Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and InDesign.
As stated above, this courses work load can be a bit of a struggle. Due to my lack of research into the materials and the workload, I had no idea this would involve as heavy work as coding. Coding is what I would describe as the bane of my courses workload. However, if it’s something that someone would want to pursue then I would recommend it, I personally know successful graduates of this program who excelled at it.
Photoshop Illustrator After Effects InDesign
Still enrolled, 6 months later, the doubts completely absent from the thoughts in my head, actually thinking I fit in for once in the education aspects of my life.
As someone who never sought out post-secondary I will wholeheartedly say it’s worth the experience, and you may end up enjoying yourself and the work given.
And best of all, you might get lucky like me and meet the friends you finally feel are worth keeping.
A Story from an IMA student
Adobe Illustrator is a part of my Digital design Course, I learn many techniques in this course. I will be talking about One of my work in Illustrator.
What is it?
Adobe Illustrator is a Software that is Created by Adobe Incorporation. And it is a Vector graphic editor. It Is Used mainly for creating Logos, cartoons, posters and graphics. It is mostly used by graphic designers.
Illustrator provides many tools that are placed on the tool palette on the left side of screen which are used for create, select and change the artwork. The user can use these tools for selecting, Painting, Reshaping and Cutting as well. For example: Selection & Direct Selection Tool, Basic shapes tool, Pen tool, Mesh tool, Magic wand tool, paint brush & bucket tool, eyedropper tool and Gradient tool.
The user can import any photo which they wants to redesign and then they can trace that image by using the pen tool or also with the help of other tools. Illustrator is easy to use on Mac or Personal Computers (Windows).
Illustrator allows to the user to manipulate the text in several ways. User can resize the design or logo without losing the quality of the artwork. In illustrator user can save their files in PDF, AI , SVG and XML or export the file into Jpeg, PNG, GIF and others.User can import and edit any kind of file into illustrator.
My work and Experience
I created Titanic Poster with the use of Illustrator. It is based on Typography.In which I used the number of grids, modular grids and rule of thirds and golden ratio to make sure the balance of the poster.
The Colors that used in poster for describing the love and disaster such as red for love and black for disaster and I used gray color for contrast.
Firstly, I converted the text into Outlines then made it bigger. For example 1997 for making my layout attractive. As well as I used different type of font sizes and some layers (long shapes such as I, T and N) for drawing the attention of the reader to read next.
Moreover, I used some black shapes , which created the balance and composition between font and style.I used the Pen Tool and Direct Selection Tool for making shapes as well as to reshape of text by making it outlines.
Illustrator is the easiest software that is used by designers. I enjoyed working on illustrator a lot.
The Interactive Media Arts program is different than what I imagined in a lot of ways. There is a lot more writing, coding, and frustration than I had expected. If you come from a background of taking design or art classes in high school, a thought that might come up is should I be here? The first month was mostly for me was review for design principles, colour theory, and learning Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. It felt like a waste of time, and I was an angsty teen in high school. But I am glad all of our projects quickly kicked up, and honestly kicked my butt at the end of the semester.
Coding requires a lot of effort. Luckily our teacher Malena had patience with us. It’s a lot of problem-solving. I see how it can easily irritate people when you try and fix something, and it just spirals, but it’s quite cool to create imagery from text to communicate with the computer. Figuring out a problem feels like a great achievement. It is quite a cool process that can be fun once you understand things.
Design is mostly what I came into the Interactive Media Arts program for. On top of the things I knew before I entered this program, I have gained so much more knowledge. From little bits in Adobe programs, to appreciating photography. Taking photography for a design project and producing everything yourself makes it feel like much more of an extra accomplishment than grabbing royalty-free images. By taking the images yourself, you can capture the exact direction you want to go in. Not that there’s anything wrong with using free images, but it just adds to the project a lot more from what I’ve found; and it’s instantly more personal to the creator. One of the pieces I’ve created so far with photography, was a project creating a postcard with a picture taken of my cat for Halloween.
After Effects and Premiere Pro were two completely new programs to me. Once you grasp the concept of one, it’s easy to see how some elements are similar, and make understanding the other one easier. They’re both programs you learn in the IMA program that make it easier to create video content. Even though it is not what I came here for, I am glad to have learned Premiere Pro because it has already opened new direction I can go in with projects.
I have gained so much good experience so far and I find myself excited to learn when I show up. All of the teachers know how to make this program as enjoyable as can be and work hard to achieve that while still producing results in their students. That is why I decided to stick with it.
Coming into my first year of Interactive Media Arts isn’t anything I thought it would be, though I wasn’t even sure what to expect.
In the summer family and friends would always ask me what I was going to school for in the fall. When I told them I was taking a program called Interactive Media Arts, it was usually followed by a confused look and questioning what it was. I couldn’t actually give anyone a straight answer on what I was getting myself into because I honestly didn’t even know myself. My default answer would always be “It’s web design stuff…” while not knowing exactly what that was or what it could mean.
This is the “web design stuff” to expect your first term in IMA.
If you’ve grown up with or at least know who the Ninja Turtles are, you’re already one step ahead in visual communications. The visual communications course mostly focuses on different art styles, art history and the elements and principles of design. Coming into this program I didn’t have any background in art since I took band all throughout highschool. Having to really dig deep into what an artist was thinking while creating a piece is very challenging to do when you’ve had no experience with it. But you learn, and teach your eye to really look deeper into the meaning of things and to distinguish different art styles.
<p> For an hour after lunch everyday is coding, coding and more coding. Networld is where you learn basic html and css to code a website. If your code is broken, you probably forgot a “ ; ”</p>
You’ll never listen to a movie the same again after learning how to create foley sounds. Digital Audio teaches you how to record and edit voice overs, commercials, soundscapes, sound sfx and music montages with Adobe Audition. Writing skills and Media writing are two classes that teach you different styles and techniques of writing while the Digital Design class explores the many tools of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and After Effects. And lastly in the Digital Video class, we learnt how to operate a DSLR camera, capture video and photography stills, set up 3 point lighting and to edit in Premier Pro.
Every class led down to one big final project at the end of the term that took about a month to complete. It was interesting to finally see how all of the different classes came together in the end with all of the different tools I had used and learnt throughout.
The Interactive Media Arts program at Assiniboine Community College is a wonderful program for those looking to expand their horizons and make a name for themselves in the interactive media business. From audio editing and media writing to video editing and graphic design, the Interactive Media Arts program provides students with the vital skills that they’ll need if they want to become successful moving forward in an electronic media career.
The future of business is online, so the IMA program is the perfect way to secure an important set of skills in order to give yourself a prosperous future. Throughout the course you will learn essential skills such as writing professional emails, filling out incident reports, and creating an in depth resume to help you secure jobs in the future. You also learn job specific skills such as video editing and capturing, audio editing and capturing, website design standards and coding, and understanding as well as making art. The skills you are taught are industry standard skills and will prove to be very useful assets to anybody looking for a future job in interactive media.
Throughout the course you will also learn how to use industry standard tools and programs to create your online media such as, but not limited to:
- Adobe Photoshop – used for professionally editing visual digital media using various tools to achieve the desired outcome when making flyers, posters, advertisements, various other marketing materials, and essentially any other content that could use a touch up. Photoshop is useful for miniscule edits to make your media more appealing as well as large scale projects where you create your own masterpiece.
- Adobe Illustrator – useful for creating your own assets and designs for anything ranging from icons and logos to full on works of art. If you are particularly fond of creating your own personalized art in a digital medium it is one of the best tools that you can have in your repertoire.
- Adobe InDesign – InDesign is a perfect tool if you want to design a layout for an article or other form of print or online text, it does one job, but it does it very well.
- Sublime Text – it is one of many tools used for website design and coding, allowing the user to input their code and test it out online, it doesn’t do anything special, but it is a very useful program nonetheless.
- Adobe Premiere Pro – an extremely useful tool for video editing that provides you with everything that you need to create an amazing video masterpiece. Premiere Pro allows the user to cut, combine, add effects to your videos, and export your videos to a whole bunch of different formats.
The IMA program is a fun and informative way to gain knowledge on different media making techniques and strategies and I would highly recommend it to anybody looking to get into a job in anything related to interactive media.
The Interactive media arts program is a great choice for graduating high school students that want to attend Assiniboine community college if your interests include:
- Gaming – 3D, VR (Virtual Reality) or Game developer
- Art – Logo and Icon design, digital art.
- Coding – Website development, website coding in html and java script.
- Video: editing-capturing
- Music – audio editing
- Website Design
- Graphic Design
- here are some of the Adobe Creative Cloud apps you will be familiar within the Interactive media arts program.
- Acrobat DC – for reliably viewing, printing, and commenting on PDF documents.
- After Effects – for creating motion graphics and visual effects for film, TV, video, & the web.
- Audition – is used for Mixing, editing, and creating audio content.
- Bridge – asset management app
- Dreamweaver – is for Designing , coding, and publishing websites.
- Flash Builder – an eclipse platform that speeds development of rich Internet applications and cross-platform desktop applications
- Flash – for using content created on the Adobe Flash platform, including viewing multimedia contents.
- Illustrator – used for creating logos and icons
- Incopy – It works with Adobe InDesign. When InDesign is used to publish printed material, including newspapers and magazines.
- Lightroom -image organization and image manipulation.
- Muse – is an offline website builder that allows to create fixed, fluid, or adaptive websites without having to write the code.
- InDesign – used to create posters, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers, presentations, books and ebooks.
- Photoshop – raster graphics editing and image editing
- Premiere Pro – Video editing
- Speed Grade – is a colour grading application that delivers layer-based colour correction, mostly for editors, filmmakers and after effect designers.
- Stock – royalty-free stock images, photos, graphics, vectors, video footage, illustrations, templates.
The Interactive media arts program changes frequently to better reflect the Interactive media industry to help better prepare the students for Assiniboine Community College.
Here is some reasons why the IMA program is helpful for finding a career.
- A chance to indulge your creativity and help your designs stand out to gain industry attention – assisting you on fulfilling your full potential.
- Connecting you to the industry – helping you get familiar with how the industry works for future employment.
- To help excel in multimedia career – gets you familiar with skills in the Interactive media industry.
- To become a content creator – gives you the necessary skills to create your own online content and get revenue.
- Learning how to make your art leave an impact in the industry – learning how to make meaningful and impactful art.
- Opportunities for a job in the work field – the practicum that comes in the second year of the program helps you gain industry knowledge.
- Preparing you for your future – helping you get the skills that help you get employed.
- Finding out what you wanna excel at in the IMA program – helps you find your strong suit for the Interactive media arts program and increases your proficiency.
The Interactive media arts program is a great way to gain industry knowledge and for your future employment in the career you choose.
New K-8 School
Premier Brian Pallister is following up on a promise to build a school in the Wheat City.
The new school – named Maryland Park – is scheduled to be open in the Fall of 2020.
Brian Pallister was quoted today saying that the new school was to accommodate the growth of Brandon during the last twenty years. He also thanked the City of Brandon and the Brandon School Division for their involvement.
When it comes to building your own studio, several people have many different ideas about what is the best path to take, as well as the best equipment to use. Read More
After releasing her EP don’t smile at me, March 29, 2019; Billie Eilish released multiple singles separate from this project.
My first impression to her music was that it was a breath of fresh air for the pop genre, the broodiness of the lyrical content doesn’t get in the way of the fun of listening to it while Billie’s performance, personality, and execution shine through.
The advertising of the album was rather intrusive much like drake’s 2018 release Scorpion, and the social media presence she has had the past year has stirred the topic that she could be an industry plant.
Digital media isn’t just digital.
Term one of the Interactive Media Arts Program, for the Interactive specialization, is full of new and exciting challenges to face.
One of the more unique and interesting courses in the IMA course is the class called Digital Audio. This class takes the students into the world of audio design and editing, and introduces them to the tools and programs that are often used in the field.
In this blog I’m not going to talk about the best laptop for a graphic designer or any other application of Adobe Creative Cloud. In this blog I will be sharing some of the best graphic designers that are well known for their creativity and recognizes pieces of art.
The life of a student consists of continuous chaos and creation on a daily basis. From going to class, to attempting to knock down the endless stream of assignments that just keep piling up. Not only do you have to do all of that, you also need to sleep. Here are some tips that might help you improve your sleep habits.
“Calling All Gamers, I Repeat, Calling All Gamers”! I’m here to inform you guys and gals why you should look into building your own gaming pc instead of buying store bought products. Some reasons that I will let you guys in on will be Price, Performance, and Components to have a stellar, yet powerful pc for any types of games or videos that you are about to delve into.
Responsive design is very important for a website because it allows the visitor, on whichever device they prefer, to have the most meaningful view with the device that they are using.
You might have the question if Lightroom and Photoshop are the same application. Well in this Blog I will be explaining how to used it, the differences from Photoshop CC, and some basic tips with short cuts to used in the application of Adobe Creative Cloud Lightroom.
A big part of learning how to create or improve art and designs is to be knowledgeable on the history and basic mechanics of art in general. This is where the Visual Communication course comes in, which ensures that we have a basic understanding of what art really is and how we communicate with it.