There’s no denying since the release of camera-competitive smartphones, Instagram revolutionized the way we take and share pictures. It’s the only app that restricts its main posts in one specific dimension (600×600 pixels) and yet, even with this fact, 95 million photos are posted every day. I’ve wandered off Instagram at some point in my life and switched to other photography platforms like VSCO — which I still love, by the way — but found my way back to the now-Mark Zuckerberg-owned application. Instagram is like that one annoying friend you just can’t get rid of because #1, everybody likes her and #2, apparently, she is all the buzz even with her dull and copycat personality.
Here are the reasons Instagram sucks but doesn’t make you want to press that uninstall button just yet:
- You’re a photographer! Everybody’s a photographer! Do you really think you can shoot? Do you? Instagram might make you feel a little bit better about your lack of skills in photography. It might not let you post in free-form, but there are certainly a bunch of other apps that’ll unleash your creativity and make you work your way around the size restriction. Because you just have to post on Instagram.
- Stories. Yes, I know, I know. They ripped the idea off of Snapchat. It’s absolutely a love-hate relationship with this feature. Now here’s your chance to get away from the square but only for 24 hours. There are some things Instagram has made better like Polls and Q&As but hands up if you agree Snapchat is still the master of face filters.
- Messaging. Sliding into somebody’s DM isn’t just for Twitter anymore. At one point along with copying Snapchat stories, they’ve managed to imitate the disappearing texts and images as well. But now they know you hate that so it’s completely gone back to normal messaging. It’s still good to have it for when you want to praise your Instagram crush’s new post.
- All the memes and influencers. Instagram is not short on content at all. It’s home to endless memes and fame-thirsty influencers who make you want to buy their gimmicky sponsored products. Let yourself be lured into the madness of the internet by scrolling day in and day out.
- IGTv. Oh, wait, what? Here comes another feature (and a standalone app) Instagram wants you to indulge in. Vertical videos are the new thing. As if you can’t already do that on your Story anyway. Only on IGTv, you have the opportunity to create your own channel and post even longer videos. Apparently, it’s set up to rival YouTube so we’ll see how that one goes.
All I’m saying is, you don’t want to be a weirdo and not have Instagram right? I have mixed feelings about it and I’m sure you do, too. It’s okay if you only visit it once in a while. But stay. Even when it’s overwhelming and kind of redundant now, aren’t you interested in knowing what becomes of it in the future?